Friday, February 2, 2007

Audaciously Hoping


Once, while walking past an open basketball court, I saw this guy throw a basketball up in the air and then..swooosh...nothing but net. Standing right under the goal was his son, probably no more than four years old and barely four feet high. "Do it again, daddy!", said the child eagerly waiting to see his father score another field goal. Now judging from the way that the guy dribbled and released the ball, I'd honestly say and firmly believe that I could have taken him "one-on-one". The score might be close but with a little nudge here and there while on defense, I'd declare victory at the sound of the buzzer. If anyone was taking note of the stats for that game, the records would unequivocally reflect that I'd beat him in all categories: points, rebounds, blocked shots, steals...heck, I could have probably passed the ball to myself several times and chalk up some assists (Yes, folks. The guy was that bad.) But no matter how bad I'd beat him, regardless of what the score board read after the game, in the eyes of that child, I would never amount to anything close to what his father is to him.

This left me once again wrestling with those lingering thoughts, those disquieting and cumbersome questions: When am I going to be a father? For over two years, I've been putting up a brave front and valiantly coasting along the life of being childless. Along with my loving wife, we faced disappointment, fear, frustration, bitterness, anger and sorrow in dealing with this circumstance. We've shed tears and, at times, locked horns just to get by. Yet, here we are...still hoping, praying and trying. I've asked myself a lot of time: What do I have to do to become a father? (APART FROM THE OBVIOUS! -- to any smart alecks out there)

Now there's a whole laundry list of advise and suggestions given to us. Some from the applicable medical field and quite a lot from others who have been through this struggle before. But I also have heeded the sound advise from within me. That enlightening voice of conscience that, during these trying time, funnels in words of wisdom, helping me up after being once again knocked out by evaporated hopes and unanswered prayers. The message is simple: I have to be strong for myself and my wife. We're on a new cycle and again we'll cloth ourselves with that cautious confidence and carry that flicker of hope on this journey. We'll be stronger this time. And just maybe, I'd be scoring those baskets, this time to the delight of my own child.

Again, I'd like to express my most sincerest gratitude to Baby Blue's support group. You have no idea how significant your thoughts and prayers are during these trying times. From what I've read, you have your own battles to fight and win, your own difficulties and disappointments to deal with, and yet you find the time to reach out to us, just to let us know that you were thinking of us. Your virtual presence reminds me of something I picked up from the TV series "The West Wing" Here it goes:


"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up, "Hey, you, can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along, and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole. Can you help me out?" The priest writes a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. Hey, Joe, it's me. Can you help me out" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are you nuts? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before - and I know the way out."

We're all down here in this hole. I say we help each other find the way out.

11 comments:

Baby Blues said...

You just had to bring tears to my eyes! I love you honey. We'll get through this with our audacity of hope.

Gil said...

Thought I'd say hi, seeing as your wife linked your blog from hers.

I have to say, I don't know my way out of the hole just yet, cause hubby and I are still looking for the door ourselves, but at least you'll have someone to chat with while you wait. Now... let's see if we can make that a VERY short wait! :-)

Cheers to you and your wife. *whispers* And yeah, um... you brought tears to my eyes too.

Smarshy said...

Hello Mr. Kite.

I may be the only other dude you come across in the land of infertility blogs. Let's be friends.

This is a tough road. My wife and I struggle with secondary infertility, which has its own unique challenges. And as guys, we face unique challenges as well. I know that in my case, my wife deals with infertility and loss. I also have to deal with infertility and loss, and in addition I have to deal with HER dealing with infertility and loss. We get the double whammy. It's thankless. It's not fun. But they need us.

You and your wife just need to stand shoulder to shoulder on this and keep your senses of humor, and you'll be great. Welcome to blogland.

Stephanie said...

Mr. Kite,
Welcome to blog land. I am so glad you joined us! I just think baby blue is about the sweetest little thing I have met so I figure you must be pretty great too. Okay I know it by reading this post.
You both are blessed to have eachother to travel with on this journey of IF. It is a road well traveled with many ups and down. Know that I will be cheering you guys one every step of the way. Good luck with IUI #3!

Melissa said...

Howdy! Great analogy. Look forward to reading...

Lisa said...

Hi,

I'm coming over here from your wife's blog and just wanted to say hi and wish you luck.

Pam said...

Hi Mr. Kite! You seem to have that effect on women...you bring us all to tears. I left a comment on Baby Blues' blog. That was for you too! You hang in there, big brother or shall I say Brother Kite (hahaha a dose of Flat Filipino humor) because as we all know, hope has no boundaries. As Red from Shawshank Redemption so aptly put it: Hope is a good thing, perhaps the only thing...and good things never die.

Since we are still suffering from a bad West Wing hangover, I highly recommend you and your wife watch Brothers & Sisters. Its about a family uncannily like ours and uncannily written in a sorkin-esque fashion. Its my favorite show now. Iblock out my Sundays for it. Check it out because it teaches valuable lessons...just like the West Wing.

--Pretty in Pink, your coolest Sis!

JW said...

Hi Mr. Kite, its great that you're blogging now too, we're in there with you, cheering you guys on and want you out there playing ball with your little son or daughter too! Hopefully we can all find that way out together. Enjoy the blogging!

Bea said...

That's a great post. You sound like you will be strong! Don't forget to show a little weakness every now and again, too. :)

Bea

Mandy said...

Hey Mr Kite!
I am also quite new to this blogging thing. Baby Blues jumped in the hole with me by commenting regularly on my page and encouraging me when I almost threw in the towel. We share cycle days actually. I wish you both all the best, you are both in my prayers.

hope548 said...

Welcome. Looks like you've already got a good list of buddies. I agree with Smarshy, one of the most important things my husband and I have learned is to stay on the same page and face this together. Hang in there!